Vanderbilt University is a center for scholarly research, informed and creative teaching, and service to the community and society at large. Vanderbilt will uphold the highest standards and be a leader in the
* quest for new knowledge through scholarship,
* dissemination of knowledge through teaching and outreach,
* creative experimentation of ideas and concepts.
In pursuit of these goals, Vanderbilt values most highly
* intellectual freedom that supports open inquiry,
* equality, compassion, and excellence in all endeavors.