To improve health care in our community, Texas, our nation, and the world through innovation and education.
To educate the next generation of leaders in patient care, biomedical science and disease prevention.
To conduct high-impact, internationally recognized research.
To deliver patient care that brings UT Southwestern's scientific advances to the bedside — focusing on quality, safety and service.
Part of The University of Texas System, UT Southwestern is governed by the UT Board of Regents. President Dr. Daniel K. Podolsky leads the medical center which includes three degree-granting institutions:
UT Southwestern Medical School, UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and UT Southwestern School of Health Professions. These three schools train nearly 4,200 medical, graduate and health professions students, residents and postdoctoral fellows each year.
UT Southwestern's achievements include:Four active Nobel Prize winners — more than any other medical school in the world.
• Among the nation's best performers in biology and biochemistry basic science research in achieving clinical breakthroughs.
• An unsurpassed pediatric heart disease program in association with Children's Medical Center Dallas, including the first successful pediatric heart transplant in Dallas in 1988.
• An adult heart and lung transplant program with survivals in excess of 90 percent — ranking among the top 10 in the nation, year after year.
• Texas' first laparoscopic gastric-bypass surgery in 1999, with more than 2,000 weight-loss surgeries performed since.
• Mortality statistics after heart attacks that are almost twice as good as national and regional averages.
• Forty physicians and researchers elected as presidents of their national specialty associations.
• Three-fourths of Texas' medical members of the National Academy of Sciences, the most prestigious scientific society in America.
• More than 90 percent of all federal biomedical grants in Dallas and more than three-fourths of all those in North Texas.
|Organization:||University of Texas, MD Anderson|