The Medical Research Council opened the Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology (LMCB) on the Gower Street Campus of University College London (UCL) in 1993. In April 2001 a new MRC Cell Biology Unit (CBU) was incorporated within the LMCB with Professor Alan Hall as Director. Following Professor Hall's resignation in March 2006 Professor Mark Marsh was appointed as Interim Director.
* To carry out internationally competitive research into the molecular mechanisms underlying cell behaviour relevant to human disease.
* To provide the structural, technical and intellectual environment that will attract the highest calibre of principle investigator.
* To provide a first class environment for the training of younger scientists at both the pre- and post-doctoral levels in the area of molecular cell biology.
* To integrate the MRC Cell Biology Unit (CBU) with other groups in the Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology (LMCB) through promoting synergistic scientific goals and providing core support and facilities.
* To integrate the MRC Cell Biology Unit and other LMCB groups into University College London (UCL), to facilitate cross-departmental interactions and to promote scientific opportunities.