he Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute of Mount Sinai Hospital, affiliated with the University of Toronto, was established in 1985. It is one of the world's leading centres in biomedical research, and one of Mount Sinai Hospital's Centres of Excellence.
* 32 Principal Investigators lead research in diabetes, cancer biology, epidemiology, stem cell research, women's and infants' health, neurobiology and systems biology.
* On average, Lunenfeld researchers publish over 300 papers in scientific journals every year.
* The Lunenfeld is committed to training young investigators. 244 trainees (124 graduate students, 115 postdoctoral fellows and 5 clinical fellows) currently work in various laboratories within the Lunenfeld.
* Strong partnerships and collaborations with industry and the clinical programs of Mount Sinai Hospital ensure that scientific knowledge is used to promote human health.
* Laboratory space has recently expanded to 165,000 square feet.
* The Lunenfeld's annual budget for 2007/08 was $90.2 million.
* Lunenfeld investigators authored 29% of the primary research papers published in the top 25 biomedical journals by Toronto health scientists in 2007.